Wednesday, July 20, 2011

coping...

So we had some tragic events happen in Yosemite yesterday.  Several people died.  It's amazing to me to think that one minute you're having a good time on vacation, and the next second, you could be gone.  Now, I understand the public wanting to know what happened and the details.  I wanted to know myself.  But now that I have this knowledge, I am done.  I don't want to talk about it.  Unfortunately, my job does not warrant this.  This will be the topic of conversation potentially for the rest of our busy season especially since it got national coverage.  How do I convey to people that I'm a little traumatized (no exaggeration) by these tragic events when they inquire about what has happened and if they'll be safe when on the same trail?  This is of course coming at a time when situations in my life have been a bit rocky.  It makes me wonder if all the things that I love (have loved) in my life will eventually disappear?  Some gradually, some suddenly, with no warning?  So I'm coping, I guess; and that's the best I can do.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I find I live my life knowing that my number could be up at any moment. And that doesn't frighten me - it makes me appreciate each moment as it comes. Another day is another day I'm alive. Yay! :)

Katie said...

Thanks, Sarah. Good words in not so optimistic times in my life :) Come and visit me and we'll go to Mammoth!

Sarah said...

You have yourself a date! And I am now the owner of a pair of chacos as I am becoming more of a field biologist. :)

STORAGE by MARY OLIVER

  STORAGE by MARY OLIVER  When I moved from one house to another there were many things I had no room for. What does one do? I rented a st...