Being reading a lot lately and feeling inspired.
First up is a book borrowed from my sister, but it's actually my sister-in-law's book (sorry Cheryl, did not mean to intentionally take this to the west coast! I'm mailing it back!) by Jen Hatmaker called 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess.
Can the title be the story of my life? Here's a really good excerpt:
I see 3 easy shifts we could make, starting today:
One, nonconsumption.
This is the simplest and hardest. It takes true courage to rage against this machine. Could we be countercultural enough to say, "We're not buying that. We don't need that. We'll make do with what we have. We'll use the stuff we already own."
Two, redirect all that money saved (to a good cause of your choice).
Three, become wiser consumers.
All I have to say to this book is yes! This is how I try to live my life. Please don't make fun of me because I have a phone from 2010. It still works, and I don't want another piece of plastic in the landfill, so until that sucker dies, it's mine. Also, jeans, chacos, and a black fleece. It's the best uniform that you could own and will take you anywhere. At least that's what I tell myself! And I've had the uncomfortable conversation with my family about no presents. Now I just need to get man-friend's family on board! It's hard. Sometimes people like to buy stuff for you. And that's really nice! But I like spending time with people...that's a gift enough for me!
At the same time (because it is forbidden for me to only have 1 story to think about at once!) The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick. An entertaining read so far. I like it, but honestly bought it because of the title, and cover art (that's how I pick wine too, catchy name plus pretty art, and under $15? Sold!). And because Joy the Baker made me read it.
Just wondering if there are other great books out there for a relaxing summer read! Tell me your suggestions please!
Thursday, July 10, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER When I moved from one house to another there were many things I had no room for. What does one do? I rented a st...
-
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER When I moved from one house to another there were many things I had no room for. What does one do? I rented a st...
-
We all have one...whether it's written down or not. You know what it is...the list of things that we want to do...before we die, or may...
-
Being reading a lot lately and feeling inspired. First up is a book borrowed from my sister, but it's actually my sister-in-law's ...
4 comments:
I'm really enjoying "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It's pretty thought-provoking and super interesting!
I also agree with you about the no-present thing but it IS a tough thing to explain to family members who love buying you things. Ah, well. ;)
Thanks, Sarah! I'll have to check that one out!
I second the motion for you to read Guns, Germs, and Steel. Really interesting stuff there.
Also, a fiction book you should read is "This is Where I Leave You" by Jonathan Tropper. A family sits shiva for their recently departed father, and all kinds of family drama and craziness ensues. The movie is coming out next week, but as my booksnob self strongly believes, the book is better.
I hadn't heard of the first book until you mentioned, but it sounds like a good one. I just put it on hold at my library! :)
I'm doing the Master Recycler/Composter program right now, and it's so scary to learn stuff, like the fact that only 30% of all garbage at our local landfill actually needed to go there, the other 70% could have been reused or recycled in some way? Yikes!!
Really makes me want to move to a farm and be more self-reliant.
Abra! Super cool! I was counting on you for some good book suggestions (you know, being your librarian self!). Can I move to a farm with you? I'm good with chickens...and dogs!
Post a Comment