...despite what Barbie says.
You would've been proud. I went to WinCo (very similar to Thunderbird for the Oregonians out there) yesterday and practiced my "reduce plastic in my life" shopping trip. This includes bringing an old, empty rolled oats container filled with plastic bags that have been saved from other things, completed with rubber bands and those plastic tabs that come on your bread bag. I also have some reusable mesh bags for fruit and vegetables (the cashiers always comment on these: how cute (?) they are, how it's such a great idea, etc... Thanks, J!), and the popular and ever-stylish green reusable grocery bags. I. am. set.
WinCo is a discount grocery store with an incredible bulk bin section. Interesting fact: dog treats, blueberry pancake mix, cat food, and Tang also come in the bin section! It is incredible. While I realize that not all of their food practices may not be ethically sound in a "friendly to the earth type of way," I am drawn to their "less waste in packaging" ways. And as I write this, I realize how hypocritical that sounds. If I were in a position to spend more money, or had a farmer's market that I could go to relatively easily, I would. The good thing in all of this? I live in California, so the produce that I buy is local (except for bananas, I would have a really hard time giving those up), and mostly organic, whatever that means these days (I don't necessarily trust the organic label on all food items). So yes, back to less packaging. It takes a bit of planning, but I didn't acquire any new plastic items yesterday! I would love to change over to glass jars, but Winco is no Whole Foods, and they cannot tare the jars. So reusing already existing plastic bags is the way to go, and it can be done!
I've become that crazy bag lady. The one who washes and dries ziplock bags, who never goes through the drive-through (cause I don't need all 19 napkins and a huge plastic bag), who carries a tupperware container for leftovers, and always has a water bottle. Let's also not forget my titanium spork, in which I have an unnecessary sentimental attachment to, that I very much am aware of since I've lost it, then found it, dozens of times. But if crazy is what it takes for me to feel like I'm using the earth's resources in responsible manner, so be it.
I realize that this is a small step as far as conservation matters go. Honestly, I'm not even sure if I'm making that much of a difference, but I figure every plastic bag counts. In our consumerism ways, I feel the need to look at an item and think about where it will end up. If you've ever been shopping with me, this is a part of why the decision process takes some time.
In the case of plastic, often times it's only used for 30 minutes or less, then thrown away (or recycled), then breaks down into tiny microplastics that make their way to the ocean, and then into the stomachs of birds, turtles and fish. YUCK. Most plastic items are meant for ONE TIME USE. It's used once, but stays around forever. That's pretty crazy to think about. This is not good for anyone. So, just trying to do the best I can in a life that is inundated by plastic. ** Gets off of soapbox, that is hopefully not prepackaged in plastic wrap **
This post was brought to you by:
The Monterey Aquarium - I just went there, and it is lovely. Don't you want to help save the adorable otters, seabirds and turtles?!
My Plastic Free Life - Beth Terry is inspiring and has lots of great ideas. I really like what's happening here.
Bag It - A thought provoking documentary that makes me say, "yep, my life is too plastic."
NOAA's Marine Debris Program - Good info as always from my co-op partner NOAA. Cause who doesn't love what they're doing?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER When I moved from one house to another there were many things I had no room for. What does one do? I rented a st...
-
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER When I moved from one house to another there were many things I had no room for. What does one do? I rented a st...
-
We all have one...whether it's written down or not. You know what it is...the list of things that we want to do...before we die, or may...
-
Being reading a lot lately and feeling inspired. First up is a book borrowed from my sister, but it's actually my sister-in-law's ...
2 comments:
Are you sure you're not a Hoss woman? :) They pride themselves on washing ziplock bags, tupperware containers, and water bottles. Also, I've been to the Monterey Aquarium and loved it! Go Katie! Saving the world!
Katie, I admire you and your washed ziploc bags!
Post a Comment