Again: not written by me, but put on my blog for me...It's always good to know someone thinks the same way that you do...
I can't say that I ever looked at my parents and said 'I want or don't want that.' And while my dad has always done a great job of leaving work at work, I know he's had struggles and that he gets through them by looking forward to what he loves, hunting and fishing. So I taught myself to just try and pursue the things I love and skip over that 'being unhappy and needing something to look forward to' business. I've had some pretty interesting jobs, but I've also left out American Dream ideas like starting a family or planning for retirement.
The most stability I've had since college was Peace Corps, which was arguably a pretty exotic form of it. A word I have chosen to differentiate my life against the more traditional path is 'routine'. With the exception of where I am right now - knowing I'll be here for another 1.5 years - I often haven't known where I'd be just three months into the future (in fact the longest job I've had since 2004 has been just 3.5 months long). That's a sexy 'life resume' point to throw out in selling yourself as an adventurer, but there are also limits to it.
Some of this is depressing. I've spent a lot of time reveling in the excitement of my short-term lifestyle, promising never to work at one job more than a year or two. I also even went so far as to expect never to have a high-paying job, because Real Jobs with Real Pay bring expectations and responsibility which will extract my soul.
Friday, April 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER When I moved from one house to another there were many things I had no room for. What does one do? I rented a st...
-
STORAGE by MARY OLIVER When I moved from one house to another there were many things I had no room for. What does one do? I rented a st...
-
We all have one...whether it's written down or not. You know what it is...the list of things that we want to do...before we die, or may...
-
Being reading a lot lately and feeling inspired. First up is a book borrowed from my sister, but it's actually my sister-in-law's ...
3 comments:
I suppose be glad you can work the way you want...too many people are "stuck" in a job because they can't afford to find something that makes them happy. For me, teaching full time and having a career makes me happy but it can also be very stressful and I can't think of how much I'm not paid for the amount of responsibility I have. :)
Whether we're still in it or not...I feel like all of us who have experienced a "transient" lifestyle are part of a unique club. I wear that fact like a badge of honor.
Hmmm... this is a lot like scott's brother. He did little jobs all over the world for years and years, and then he finally got a real desk job/career, and just really had a hard time adjusting to it, and was figuring out how he could get out of it kind of from the moment he started. I think he did like the stability of it all though, just not the extra stress/expectations/sitting at a desk all day rather than a beach.
Post a Comment