Saturday, April 08, 2017

GBBS Challenge #1

If you're like me, then you're DONE with the snow. Seriously, WY. DONE.

To try to get through the gray, cloudy, snowstorm-y days, I've gravitated to Netflix. Something that I'm digging right now (along with the awkward love story in "Love") is the Great British Baking Show. British accents and baking? What could be better!?

In watching this show and adoring it, I thought that I could make a fun challenge to try some of the baked things that they make on the show, but far, far less elaborate.

Episode one featured Swiss rolls. The way that Mary Berry described what a good Swiss roll consisted of (a light, tasty sponge with a delicate creamy filling), I was intent on giving this one a go! I even used a UK recipe and kept having to google the conversions of ounces to cups and teaspoons. Don't forget to throw in high altitude and me never being able to figure out to compensate for that, and we have a recipe for a semi-tasty, failed challenge.

The photo from the recipe listed above: it's so easy and beautiful! From http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/rachel-allen/swiss-roll

Real life. The whipped cream and jam filling squished out of the roll as I was rolling it. Booo.












The filling squished out when I tried to roll it, and the cake was tough and slightly chewy but had good flavor. Not horrible, but not great either. I'm not quitting my day job, but I'm still not giving up on baking! More to come!

via GIPHY

No comments:

STORAGE by MARY OLIVER

  STORAGE by MARY OLIVER  When I moved from one house to another there were many things I had no room for. What does one do? I rented a st...